|home > all > tours|
|Originally part of Totara Estate, the Kakanui Flour and Oatmeal Mill was built in 1866. One of 13 such mills, Clarks Mill as it is known locally, functioned until 1976. It was purchased by the Historic Places Trust who set about restoring it to tell the story of the grain industry and how flour and other products such as oatmeal (porridge) and pollard is made.
Guides explain the workings of the mill but also tell a few stories about the people that worked and lived on the site and some of their activities such as the great flood of 1868 and how a millers cottage hosted the youths of the area in an informal hotspot for many years.
Opening hours: Sundays 1-3pm (Nov-April)
Machinery operates last Sunday of month.
|address||State Highway 1 (12km south of Oamaru)|
|phone||03 434 7169|